"With the company now having submitted an application to the North York Moors Park Authority for permission to continue mining operations for a further 25-years, consultation events are being held throughout this month to explain the proposals to local people.
The current planning permission which has been in place since 1968 expires in 2023.
Following the successful transition which saw the mine become the world’s first and only producer of the ground-breaking multi nutrient mineral polyhalite, the planning application is the next phase in the ‘Building Boulby’s Future’ strategy."
"Boulby in the News ... :
- BBC Look North, October 2017, Boulby Underground Laboratory hosts MINAR V
- Channel 4, October 2017, MINAR V at Boulby Underground Laboratory
- BBC Radio 4 Today, February 2016, Deep Science in the Boulby Underground Lab
- Evening Gazette, July 2015, See Inside Boulby Mine's new £1.77 Million Underground Laboratory
- Physics World, May 2015, Boulby Lab, feature length article on deep dark matter research
- Durham Press, November 2014, Energy Minister visits Boulby Carbon Capture and Storage project
- BBC Science, September 2013, Boulby Cosmic rays & Carbon Capture project features at the British Science Festival
- BBC News, August 2013, Boulby mine: Underground life gives alien clues.
- Daily mail, 24th January 2011, Dark matter: Deep in a mine on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors, a British-led team is trying to solve the biggest mystery in the universe.
- BBC1's The One Show, 26th April 2010. The People's Astronomer Mark Thompson looks for Dark Matter at Boulby
- BBC Radio4 - Frontiers; 'Dark Matter', 23rd Nov 2009. Half hour documentary on the search for Dark Matter at Boulby.
- The Economist's 'World in 2009', 19th Nov 2008: Dark Secrets: The physics discovery of 2009 may come from Yorkshire
- Wall St Journal, 11th Nov 2008: Mining for Dark Matter, Some go WIMP hunting
- Whitby Gazette, 31st Oct 2008: Scientists to shed light on the search for Dark Matter
- Radio Sheffield - 12th Sept 2008: Toby Foster show, SMP Interview
- Radio 5 Live - 10th Sept 2008: Simon Mayo show, SMP Interview
- BBC North Yorkshire, 10th Sept 2008: UK challenge to Big Bang machine
- BBC Radio York - Breakfast show, NJTS Interview 10th Sept 2008
- Teesside Gazette, 10th Sept 2008: Potash mine in race for Big Bang
- BBC Channel 4 news, 9th Sept 2008: Lab challenging collider project
- The Observer, 7th Sept 2008: UK digs deep for secrets of cosmos
- Bdaily, 4th July 2007: Laboratory's name marks East Cleveland heritage
- BBC TV, 9 Feb 2006: Horizon - Most of our Universe is missing
- Physics World, May 2005: The Universe reveals its dark side
- New Scientist, Dec 2004: Last word - relieved scientists
- BBC TV, 5 April 2004: The Sky at Night - Digging for Dark Matter
- Newsweek, 20 October 2003: A Universe of Riddles
- CERN Courier, June 2003: Boulby extends the search for dark matter
- Whitby Gazette, 2 May 2003: Science minister joins hunt for WIMPs
- Guardian, 1 May 2003: Dark matter in deepest Yorkshire
- Financial Times, 30 April 2003: Scientists in salt mine aim to shed light on dark matter
- Guardian, 30 April 2003: Race to find dark matter heats up
- Independent, 30 April 2003: A matter of deep, dark significance in the salt mines of Yorkshire
- Daily Telegraph, 30 April 2003: Are there Wimps down there??(reprinted in Sydney Morning Herald, 5 May 2003, as The search for the missing universe)
- The Times, 30 April 2003: Is the secret of dark matter 3,000ft underground?
- The Times, 30 April 2003: North Sea salt mine is research paradise
- BBC TV News, 29 April 2003: David Shukman reports (needs RealPlayer)
- Middlesbrough Evening Gazette, 29 April 2003: Mine's role in unlocking dark secret
- Newcastle Chronicle & Journal, 29 April 2003: Trip into the dark in search of universal truth
- nature science update, 29 April 2003: Showers and air-con for WIMPs down Yorkshire mine
- The Northern Echo, 29 April 2003: Minister in deep discussions as new science lab opens
- Reuters, 29 April 2003: British Scientists Seek Missing WIMPs of Universe (picked up by, at least: ABC, CNN, Cape Argus, Hindustan Times, MSNBC, New Zealand Herald, Straits Times)
- Spaceflight Now, 29 April 2003: The search for the missing mass of the Universe
- Yorkshire Post, 29 April 2003: Yorkshire PostScience plumbs new depths in hunt for wimps
- BBC News Online, 28 April 2003: Science in the underworld
- PPARC press release, 29 April 2003: 90% of the Universe is Missing (includes Boulby pictures)
- BBC Radio 4, 12 Mar 2003: Behind the Superficial - Mined over Dark Matter
- nature science update, 1 May 2002: Xenon outs WIMPs
- Frontiers, issue 13 (summer 2002): The search for WIMPs (pdf file here)
- The Economist, 5 January 2002: Money pits
- Physics World, 14, issue 9 (September 2001): Physicists push themselves to the limit (p. 10)
- Physics World, 13, issue 1 (January 2000): Physics gets dark and exotic (p. 13); The search for dark matter (p. 23) "
Best not mention Kryptonite.
About that picket fence...